Thursday, November 15, 2012

Choose Your Juicer Type

When I got started juicing it was easy. My son gave me a juicer for Father's day and I started using it immediately. I remember running down to the grocery store and buying a bunch of fruits and vegetables. When I got home I started juicing for my son and my girlfriend. I didn't even think about the types of juicers or which one was better and what the differences are. So if you don't have a juicer and plan on buying one, take my advice. Get the best one you can afford, but don't worry about it if it's not what the "experts" say is what you need. The important thing is that you actually start juicing. I like off-roading, sometimes called "wheeling", and a guy I know says, "Doesn't matter what rig you're driving (Jeep, Toyota, Hummer), just matters that you're out there wheeling." I like that and I'll apply that to juicing. So whatever type you get just use it and juice. You won't be sorry!
Breville BJE200XL

Okay, basically there are two types of juicers you need to know about for juicing at home. One type of juicer is a centrifugal juicer and most juicers sold are this type. This is the least expensive and does the job. They are loud, but tolerable. The second type is a masticating juicer. Sometimes these are called a low speed juicer. They do a good job of juicing things like greens, wheatgrass and spinach. But check into it, because some say they don't do grass :-) These masticating juicers chew the fibers and breaks up the cells of vegetables and fruits. This gives you more fiber, enzymes, vitamins and trace minerals. It can do other things too like pasta, grind coffee, make natural baby food and natural peanut butter out of peanuts. Pretty cool, eh? And then there are the twin gear triturating juicers which are expensive, hard to clean and I don't think appealing for everyday juicing. However, they are even better at getting the good stuff out. It's a two stage process. The first stage crushes the fruits and vegetables, while the second stage presses the juice. There are conflicting reports of which one gets you the most juice out of your produce. Some say the centrifugal will get the most volume of juice and some say otherwise. Who knows exactly what they're referring too. I believe the winner is the masticating and triturating. For sure the twin gear (triturating) will probably require less produce to make juice than the centrifugal. Because the twin gear actually crushes AND presses. My centrifugal gets a lot of juice out of my produce. The pulp is pretty dry when I take it to the compost can. I'm sure it depends on the quality of the juicer and the way you juice.I know if I slow down and don't rush my juicer I get better results.

Centrifugal juicers run between $45 and $300. Single gear masticating juicers run between $229 and $379 on my PRIME Juicers aStore site and the twin gear (triturating), well lets say they start around $500 and run into the thousands of dollars. If you're like me, budget is a concern. So basically you'll be choosing between the centrifugal and the masticating. Remember: I said the triturating are hard to clean (hint, hint).

So what would my choice be? Right now I'll stick with what I'm using. I like the centrifugal because it does the job. It doesn't take up much room, it's quick and it's easy to clean up afterwards. The centrifugal will also take bigger chunks of fruits and vegetables too, making it easier for me. If I want to start making pasta, coffee, peanut butter and God forbid baby food someday, I'd spring for a nice masticating juicer. There's no-thing better for your body than FRESH fruit and vegetable juice! So JUICE ON!

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment