Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Health and Nutrition: Sprouts Protein

Sprouts, specifically alfalfa sprouts, that’s what I’m growing. I purchased the Victorio VKP1014 4-Tray Kitchen Seed Sprouter and started the day I got it. I used to love the texture and taste of it in sandwiches and salads, but where I live those tasty green morsels are hard to come by. And, I want my own, freshly grown-organic sprouts!


Recently I read an article on juicing them and that really peaked my interest! Can you imagine?sprouts


About Sprouts


I’ve read and heard for a long time that sprouts are very nutritional, but I never put that much emphasis on them. Not any longer. Today I’m particularly interested in the protein value of sprouts.  Now’s the time for a little more research.


What makes sprouts nutritious?


Sprouts are very nutritious, as they contain all the elements that a plant needs for life and growth. The simple process of sprouting brings out many enzymes in germinated seeds, legumes, and grains, making them easier to digest. It also increases the amounts and bioavailability of protein, vitamins and minerals, transforming them into nutrition powerhouses. Overall, sprouts provide excellent quality nutrients and, by weight, are the rich sources of an array of vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. – Vegetarian Nutrition


sproutsI received a package of alfalfa seeds with my growing kit and I wanted to see exactly what the benefits of alfalfa sprouts are. After doing a little research I found that alfalfa contains 35% protein and are abundant in vitamins A, B, C, E and K. Alfalfa sprouts contain the  minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and zinc. Also carotene, chlorophyll, amino acids and trace elements. How awesome is that?


After reading some more I found that lentil sprouts are a good source of protein too. A 1-cup serving of fresh or cooked lentil sprouts contains about 7 grams of protein, according to USDA figures. Yabba-Dabba Doo! I want some of that! I’ll buy lentil seeds and grow them with my alfalfa.


So, if you’re like me and looking for the most nutritional foods out there, it appears to me that the good ole’ tasty sprouts that I used to get in my sandwiches are just the ticket. They’re also a good source of protein and it’s the kind of protein I can live with (I’m distancing myself from eating meat).


I’ve continued growing sprouts on and off since I got my growing kit. I like Certified Organic Alfalfa Sprout Seed -1 Lb – Handy Pantry Brand Seeds For: Salad Sprouts & Sprouting. Basically all spouts are delicious, so what ever seeds you get, grow and enjoy!


Thanks for reading and next I’ll share what I’ve learned from juicing this little, green, wonder food . So, what do you do with your sprouts? Put them on salads? Please share with us and happy juicing!


Sources for this article include:


Vegetarian Nutrition: Sprouts: Super, Simple, Nutritious and Healthy


Health Eating Advisor: Sprouts Have The Highest Concentration Of Nutrition Per Calorie Of Any Food


LIVESTRONG: Lentil Sprouts and Protein



Health and Nutrition: Sprouts Protein

No comments:

Post a Comment