Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Juicing Sprouts

I’ve really enjoyed growing alfalfa sprouts with my Victorio VKP1014 4-Tray Kitchen Seed Sprouter. It’s super easy to do and the little kit actually produces plenty of sprouts, especially for one or two people. Juicing sprouts is very easy. I use my Omega J8004 Nutrition Center Commercial Masticating Juicer and even though they don’t produce a lot of juice, it’s tasty and of course very nutritious.


juicing sproutsGrowing Sprouts For Juicing


I purchased a Victorio Growing Kit that had everything I needed to grow sprouts. The trays, seeds and instructions were all included. All I had to do was provide the water and sunlight. They don’t even need direct sunlight to grow and for them to sprout they don’t need any sunlight. I have mine sitting on my plant cart and they get a little direct sun in the morning.


It takes about 5 to 7 days to grow sprouts for juicing.


After they mature, I just dumped them out of the sprouting tray and on to some paper towels for drying. I store my sprouts in a plastic container, the kind that strawberries come in. They’ve stayed fresh for up to a week  or more in the refrigerator. It’s easy to know when sprouts are fresh because they’re crisp. I love the crisp texture of fresh sprouts. They go great on salads and sandwiches too.


Juicing Sprouts


As I said, they don’t produce a lot of juice, but what you get is extremely nutritious. They go into the Omega J8004 easily and unlike wheatgrass there’s no cutting with these alfalfa sprouts, so no mess involved. Once in the chute of the juicer they are pushed down with the plunger.


In the beginning I started juicing three or four handfuls of sprouts along with three or four carrots to make a nice glass of fresh juice in the morning. The sprouts aren’t very strong so I hardly notice that they’re in there. There’s just a hint of sprout taste and it’s delicious.


After a few times and experimenting with simple recipes, I started adding sprouts to all of my green juices. One of my favorite green juices includes cucumber, spinach, celery, kale (or romaine lettuce), carrots and an apple. Now with the addition of sprouts it’s an even better green drink.


Sprouts add a green, living nutritional boost to any juice. Try juicing sprouts with fruit! You might be surprised.


This is a delicious and refreshing juice which promotes weight loss. You can drink this juice twice a day on an empty stomach to help suppress your appetite. If possible, use organic produce for this recipe.


1 bunch of alfalfa sprouts


1 bunch of kale


1/2 cucumber


2 celery stalks


1 apple  – From Juicers 2 Health


 


When I ran out of seeds for juicing sprouts I purchased more: Certified Organic Alfalfa Sprout Seed -1 Lb – Handy Pantry Brand Seeds For: Salad Sprouts & Sprouting – Can Be Grown in Any Sprouter.




Thank you for reading and as always, please feel free to comment below. I’d love to hear from you. What’s your experience juicing sprouts?


Sources for this article (Juicing Sprouts) include:


Juicers 2 Health – Alfalfa Sprout Juice Recipe


The Juicing Bible


 



Juicing Sprouts

No comments:

Post a Comment